1 year full-time
- 4 GCSEs grade 9-3 (A*-D)* including English and maths
- An appreciation of and passion for games with a level of practical experience
Fees & funding:
Visit our fees & funding page for more information
How to apply:
When you're ready to apply, there's a few ways to start the process.
- Apply online - Start your application now!
- Call us on 0115 952 2075 and start your application over the phone or we can post you a paper application form
- Come and visit us at an open day and fill in your application on the day
Introduction to the course
Love gaming? See yourself as the next big games developer? This college course will give you the skills you need to start your journey towards a career in games development. On this course you’ll get experience in a range of games development techniques, including planning and programming your own 2D game and creating graphics for game assets and marketing materials. You’ll also produce a short intro animation for your game and learn the importance of storytelling in games and the media industry.
100% of students on this course feel the teaching they receive is of a good standard. (QDP Student Survey Results 2022)
- How to develop your artistic, creative and technical skills
- How to plan and produce your own 2D game
- 3D modelling skills
- The game-testing cycle and how to produce your own bug reports
- How to produce an animated cut scene for your game
- How to work to a creative brief
- English and Maths skills
What you'll study:
In term one we look at the history and techniques of animation and the role story telling plays in games and other media to develop your ideas for your own 2D game and games design document.
In term two you will start researching and developing a game demo and study the fundamentals of level design. Following this, you will then combine all the skills you have learned so far and create a project for external assessment.
In term three you will finalise production of your game and learn the importance of bug testing in the games industry. You will also learn about pitching and creating publicity material to promote your game.
Maths & English
Depending on your prior English and Maths attainment, you may need to improve your grade as part of your course.
On this course you’ll have access to:
- Mac and PC computer suites
- GameMaker Engine
- Autodesk Maya
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Traditional art studio
Every year we welcome family, friends and industry professionals to watch, listen, test and play the fantastic work of our college students.
Like no other, we go off timetable and invite some of the biggest names in the games industry to deliver talks, workshops and seminars for our students. It’s a great opportunity for our students to gain invaluable insights and industry connections.
Past Industry Week guests have included:
- The Oliver Twins
- Games Workshop
- Erol Kentli – Lead Artist at Splash Damage
- Anna Hollinrake – Principal Artist at Mediatonic Games
- Brenda and John Romero - Games Industry Legends
Check out our OnDemand service here.
“The extra opportunities I’ve been able to work on have been incredible.”
Continue your studies
Go on to study one of our Level 3 courses in Games Technology or Games Art.
Your time at Confetti doesn’t have to stop once you finish your college course. Choose to continue your studies on our range of foundation and full honours degrees that can help you further develop your skills and obtain the experience you need to get a head start in your career:
- Games tester
- Concept artist
- Games asset artist