2 years full-time
- 5 GCSEs grade 9-4 (A*-C)* including English and maths
- An appreciation of and a passion for games with a level of practical experience and/ or a Level 2 qualification in the subject area
Fees & funding:
Visit our fees & funding page for more information
How to apply:
When you're ready to apply, there's a few ways to start the process.
Introduction to the course
The UK Games Industry was valued at £5.35 billion in 2019 (UKIE, 2019) with approximately 2,277 companies across the country (UK Games Map, 2018), and is one of the most competitive markets within the creative media industries. Our Level 3 Games Technology course focuses on the creation and production of Games, 2D and 3D, using the most relevant and up to date industry standard software to bring those ideas to fruition.
Throughout a two-year programme you will be required to learn both the theoretical and practical techniques required to design, practice and produce game ready components and sequences. You will also apply industry standardised methodologies and principles into your projects.
Through individual, and group based, projects you will explore, refine and apply your skillset across the industry roles through regular feedback opportunities to allow you to develop the skills required to be successful. Not only will you have the opportunity to build your portfolio, demonstrating your technical and cognitive skills, of work but also to expand your industry contacts where appropriate.
This will culminate in presenting your work professionally as portfolio pieces to demonstrate your comprehension, advancement of skillset and application to showcase your desire to work within the games industry within the appropriate fields.
Be prepared to make, and break, games - not just play them.
96% of students are satisfied with the course (QDP Student Survey Results 2019)
You’ll learn how to:
- Develop, and enhance, your interpersonal skills to be able to effectively, and articulately, pitch and present your ideas and projects at an industry required standard within a wide variety of roles
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the games industry through its structure to direct and develop future career paths and opportunities
- Develop, practice and refine practical developmental skills in industry standard applications such as the Autodesk Suite and Epic Games’ Unreal Engine
- Develop a practical knowledge across a broad spectrum of Games Development tools, practices and techniques to be able to collaborate effectively with others on projects.
- Develop cognitive and problem solving skills in game design and implementation to see products from concept to production phases
- Develop, and enhance, intrapersonal skills to show adaptation and resilience to the ever changing world of games.
Where applicable you will get to visit, or be part of, events within your chosen field to maximise your exposure to the games industry.
What you'll study:
A1 Skills Development
- A1.1 Explore and develop investigation skills for informing ideas
- A1.2 Explore and develop problem solving skills
- A1.3 Explore and develop creative technical skills
- A1.4 Explore and develop professional skills and behaviours
- A1.5 Explore and develop communication skills
A2 Creative Project
- A2.1 Inform ideas in response to a creative brief
- A2.2 Apply problem solving skills in response to a creative brief
- A2.3 Apply technical skills in response to a creative brief
- A2.4 Demonstrate professional skills and behaviours in response to a creative brief
- A2.5 Apply communication skills in response to a creative brief
B1 Personal Progression
- B1.1 Inform ideas for progression into a creative career
- B1.2 Apply problem solving practice to develop a strategy for career progression
- B1.3 Create materials for career progression using technical practice
- B1.4 Demonstrate professional practice and behaviours in relation to career progression aspirations
- B1.5 Apply communication skills to support progression into a creative career
B2 Creative Industry Response
- B1.1 Inform ideas for a response to a creative industry brief
- B2.2 Apply problem solving practice to develop solutions in response to a creative industry brief
- B2.3 Apply technical practice in response to a creative industry brief
- B2.4 Demonstrate professional practice and behaviours in response to a creative industry brief
- B2.5 Apply communication skills in response to a creative industry brief
You’ll have access to the latest technologies inside Confetti HQ - our Digital Media Hub - throughout your time with us. Our dedicated games suites have access to the software you require to complete the course, and to level up your skills, ranging from the Adobe Creative Cloud suite, Autodesk applications including Maya through to release candidate builds of Industry standard Game Engines. Facilities can be booked outside of your studies upon the successful completion of the competency test that will be issued by your teaching team.
The Confetti Classroom
At Confetti our classrooms are unique. As part of their course, our students get the chance to go out into industry and Do It For Real at locations across the UK! Check out our interactive map to see how our classrooms are different and to get a taste of the kind of experiences you could take part in whilst studying at Confetti.
As a Confetti student, you will also take part in Industry Week where you’ll meet a range of professionals within your field of interest, as well as other areas of the creative industries.
Previous guests include: Michael Eavis, Professor Green, DJ Yoda, Mandy Parnell (Bjork, Aphex Twin, The White Stripes), Jon Kelly (Paul McCartney, Kate Bush), Goetz Botzenhardt (Bjork, Sugarbabes, Faithless, Dido, Pet Shop Boys) and George Shilling (Oasis, Primal Scream, James Brown).
Continue your studies
Your time at Confetti doesn’t have to stop once you finish your college course. Choose to continue your studies on our range of foundation and full honours degrees that can help you further develop your skills and obtain the experience you need to get a head start in your career:
- Games Designer
- 3D Modeller
- Level Designer
- Scripter / Programmer
- QA Tester