Delivered in partnership with Nottingham Trent University (NTU); your degree will be taught at Confetti and validated by NTU.
One year, full-time.
Your degree will be delivered over 45 weeks between September to July, with six hours contact per week.
Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies, Nottingham.
Entry & admission criteria:
- A minimum of a 2:2 honours degree, or an appropriate equivalent, i.e. a professional qualification, from a recognised British or overseas institution, in a related subject.
- Non-standard applicants with at least three years' industry experience are also welcome to apply.
- Applicants who do not fully satisfy the general criteria will be considered if they are able to demonstrate that they are capable of successfully undertaking and completing the programme at the required standard. Eligibility will be determined by means of an interview.
- Applicants who have been taught and assessed in languages other than English should have an English language equivalent to IELTS 6.0.
Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies (part of Nottingham Trent University) have applied for a student visa sponsor licence extension to be able to accept international students requiring a student visa on to their courses. Sign up to be the first to hear if this course opens to students requiring a student visa.
You'll be invited to an informal interview after you submit your application, to determine your project ideas, your fit with the course, and to discuss your aspirations.
Fees & funding:
For the latest course fees and advice on funding, visit our fees and funding page.
How to apply:
To apply for this course, you will need to complete an application through Nottingham Trent University’s Applicant Portal.
Your application will include a personal statement, and you’ll need to provide a reference. For advice about making a successful application to study this course, visit the NTU pages on how to apply.
Studying an Esports Production postgraduate degree means that you’ll learn specialist skills, which will allow you to keep up with the demands of this growing and developing industry.
You will research and innovate in esports production through the use of cross-discipline, industry-standard technologies. You’ll immerse yourself within the Confetti campus and access leading, emerging and disruptive production technologies through our ground-breaking, purpose-built esports complex and content creation facility, Confetti X.
You’ll be part of live esports productions with recognised industry contacts as a technology specialist, building and mastering your project management skills that will allow you to collaborate, manage and lead on strategic developmental goals in broadcasting, positioning yourself as a leader and pioneer impacting the direction of the esports industry.
Throughout this course you can expect to:
- Undertake comprehensive research to contribute to knowledge in the field of esports production technology.
- Research and critically evaluate the potential for innovation in the application of esports production technology.
- Systematically evaluate emerging production technologies outputs from a national and international perspective.
- Research emerging markets in esports with regard to distribution, online platforms and diverse target audiences.
- Critically reflect and respond to professional standards, ethical consideration, diversity of workforce and sustainability within the production of a self-directed professional level project.
- Systematically develop and produce esports content, demonstrating innovation, originality and high production values.
- Exercise initiative, project management and problem solving in a range of complex situations and evaluate results.
- Develop, execute and critically reflect on innovative productions within a specialist area
- Demonstrate high level leadership and management through problem solving.
- Research career aspirations through defining personal objectives in line with future industry developments.
- Demonstrate leadership and autonomy when embarking on personal employability and entrepreneurship goals at the forefront of esports production and technologies.
What you'll study
Engage in high level research and critical thinking, developing a deep understanding of innovations and disruptions alongside data analysis within the esports broadcast and technology industry.
- Critically review and synthesise a wide range of production technologies to support your enquiries within the field of esports production and apply results
- Research and evaluate audience participation, industry platforms and commercial outputs and critically appraise the implications this has for your own proposal
- Analyse current issues and industry priorities at local, national, European and global level and critically assess strategic opportunities when leading a commercial production
- Critically justify your proposed esports production format, demonstrating originality in line with industry expectations
- Execute high levels of initiative and autonomy when establishing project management workflows and defining innovative solutions
- Propose esports technology innovations and advancements and critically reflect on the potential within the future broadcasting industry
- Define personal goals relating to emerging career opportunities and critically appraise your progress towards objectives
- Communicate research clearly and effectively in multiple formats and critically reflect on industry responses
Through exposure to national and international markets, recognised esports organisations and emerging technologies; focus your career, develop your network, enhance your technical skillset and begin to fulfil your concept.
- Undertake research at the forefront of production technology to inform and gain new insights in the management and execution of an original esports production
- Analyse the impact of emerging technologies and apply in relation to your personal concept within a commercial environment
- Select and systematically evaluate broadcast production technologies in creation of original content for the esports industry
- Integrate knowledge of the relationship between current professional and ethical standards within the context of leading and project managing your own professional production
- Generate innovative solutions that can be applied in multidisciplinary areas and that push the boundaries of technical capabilities
- Demonstrate originality in the application of production technology during rigorous testing and experimentation and critically reflect on results
- Propose original, sustainable workflows and critically review and respond in the implementation of technology in the context of your production
- Manage your professional development by identifying and generating industry relevant content in line with your career aspirations.
Implement and deliver your concept, collect and analyse data, and evaluate your impact and contribution to the esports production industry.
- Collect, organise and synthesise complex research data to form sound conclusions and critically evaluate in reference to future industry productions
- Critically evaluate and justify your personal career development in response to audience perspectives and global cultural impact
- Critically reflect on professional protocols and ethical standards within the industry relevant in the realisation of your creative output.
- Evaluate advanced production methodologies in solving complex problems and apply theory to practice
- Identify, plan and deploy technology for use within an esports production and apply technology solutions and strategies to enhance the achievement of aims and desired outcomes
- Communicate conclusions and critically reflect on audience experience when dealing with complex and contemporary issues in esports
- Exercise initiative when working collaboratively on complex esports productions and in response to audience feedback and industry requirements
- Demonstrate your ability to independently lead, project manage and critically reflect on performance to support your continuing professional development
- Demonstrate self-direction, originality and innovation when applying and adapting methods, and act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks to professional standards
You’ll have access to some of the best esports facilities in the UK.
Confetti X brings together years of expertise in live events, content creation, streaming and competitive gaming.
The complex is a space for students to access the very best facilities and technology for esports production and other emerging technologies. It'll be home to a busy schedule of amateur and professional tournaments, productions and other esports-related events; all of which will offer up unique work experience opportunities for students studying on the course.
Here are just some of the features:
- A 100-seater 4k sqft multi-event esports venue and content studio
- 4k broadcast and content creation infrastructure
- Virtual live productions with Unreal Engine
- 10m x 4m 4K LED video wall with LED wings
- Multiple shoutcaster and analyst studio
- Multiple streaming cubicles
- Green screen studio for virtual sets
- Scrim rooms and private warm-up rooms for competitors
Each of our esports studio spaces are kitted out with top of the line gaming and streaming gear, allowing our students to effectively and simultaneously study, game and stream.
You’ll have access to:
- Esports scrim room and studio fully equipped with Alienware machines and peripherals
- Games Studios fully equipped with Workstation PCs
- Latest industry-standard software packages including Autodesk Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, Unreal Engine, Unity and more
- Hardware suites focused on research and development in Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality and Motion Capture
Our esports scrim rooms and studios have:
- Alienware Aurora R12
- 11th Gen Intel Core i9 processor
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 GPU
- 32GB RAM
- 2x Alienware 240Hz Gaming Monitors
- A combination of Razer and Alienware peripherals including webcams, microphones, headphones, keyboard and mice.
- Corsair T1 Race Gaming Chairs
Our motto is ‘Do It For Real’. This means learning from teaching staff with industry experience, taking part in live projects, getting industry insights from guest lectures, and clocking up valuable work experience.
We hold an annual Industry Week, the biggest of its kind in the UK, where guest speakers and mentors from the music industry are invited in to talk to students. Our students have the opportunity to learn from people working in the industry right now, and can make invaluable contacts during this week.
Past Industry Week guests have included:
- Mark Garvey Candella - Director of Student & Education Programs at Twitch
- Unequalled Media
- Rockstar Games
- Sumo Digital
Check out Industry Week here.
Esports tournaments and events
We’re well-connected in the world of esports, and, thanks to our world-class facilities, we've played host to the NSE British University Esports Championship Finals; the British Esports Association Student Champs Finals; and the Commonwealth Games Esports Championships! At each event, our Esports Production students have played key roles.
Confetti and its students recently hosted a ‘Halo Clash Series’ international esports tournament for charity and the hugely popular ‘Six Memevitational’; a global celebration of the Rainbow Six Siege game with the biggest casters, pro players and content creators involved from around the world.
Students from Confetti have been working with The NUEL and GGTech to host the Amazon University Esports UK and Ireland finals, with more tournaments with The NUEL on the horizon.
The three key approaches to learning and teaching for this course are:
- Active Collaborative Learning
- Learning through Research
- Online or Blended learning
You will participate in workshops, lectures, small group and one-to-one tutoring designed to help you develop the practical and thinking skills that you will need in your chosen career. There is also a collaborative project along with online practice supporting portfolio development.
You will be assessed in a number of ways, including:
- Written Assignments
- Creative outputs/production
Formative assessment is what we call the opportunities you have to produce and get feedback on work that will help you to prepare to complete your summative formal assessment. There are specific named activities in your assessment and feedback plan which you will be asked to complete and submit for feedback. Additionally, peer, class and individual feedback on your ongoing work is formative.
Assessment tasks are designed to challenge you over the year to increasingly demonstrate your own creativity, reflect your own interests and include independent research.
After an action-packed, intellectually-stimulating degree, you’ll leave Confetti with a host of invaluable technical and critical thinking skills that will allow you to work in the esports industry, with a focus on production and technology. As technology continues to develop, you’ll be one step ahead in being able to adapt to emerging technologies.
You could find yourself working in areas such as event management, broadcast and production, marketing, games design, event production, or in a role as an analyst, streamer, observer, shoutcaster or consultant.