additional support 2

Additional learning support

About additional learning support

If you have additional learning support needs, you may be able to apply for funding. The process for this includes an Educational Psychologists’ (EP) Assessment or in the case of a physical disability – a current medical report or GP/hospital letter. If you are identified as having a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD), you may be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). DSA is a one-off payment that will help you get study aid equipment that can support you on your course. This can include Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

Support from Confetti

Confetti is here to help you all the way through your educational career, and the ALS team is there to support you to achieve great things during your time with us.
If you feel as though none of this applies to you, but you would like some help with learning study skills, we can meet with you to discuss your learning style and tailor your support to your individual needs.

For more information, or just to talk through any of this, please contact the HE Additional Learning Support Team on 0115 9522075 ext: 840 or the Skills Team on extension 883 or 889 who can also assist with enquiries.

The process

If you think you have additional support needs, for instance, with dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia, we can organise an external assessor to conduct an EP assessment once you’re fully enrolled on a programme with us. This will not cost you anything.
If you have a medical condition, including if you are on the Autistic Spectrum, you will need to provide some supporting evidence (eg. medical report or GP / hospital letter). Confetti cannot pay for a medical assessment of any kind; but please speak with us about the process and we’ll let you know what you need to do.

What is an Educational Psychologist Assessment?

An Educational Psychologist assessment is used to identify your needs, to assess whether you may require extra help to achieve your academic goals.
The results are used to produce a report, which you can use as evidence to apply for Disabled Student Allowance (DSA*) and as evidence for exam arrangements such as extra time, a reader or a scribe.
The assessment is expensive and it’s important that you attend your appointment or rearrange it in good time.

What happens prior to Educational Psychologist Assessments?

You may have received support before coming to Confetti and will have evidence, such as a report. If this was done during secondary school, or at college, then this report can be used as evidence that you need a further assessment. If you have a report of this kind, please bring it to Confetti as soon as possible to speed up the process.
• If you have such a report, your ALS tutor will take a photocopy and send this off as evidence to apply for DSA. If your previous assessment was carried out when you were over 16, there will be no need for an Educational Psychologist assessment.
• If you haven’t had support before, you may require a screening before you’re sent for an Educational Psychologist assessment. The screening includes a chat about your educational history, plus some basic tests; it usually takes 45 minutes to 1 hour.

What happens during Educational Psychologist Assessments?

1. You’ll be sent a questionnaire to fill in. This will ask for information about your educational history and any academic support you’ve had before.
2. The assessment itself can take between 2-4 hours. It will take place in a quiet and confidential room. You’ll need to bring anything that you usually use to help with your studies – eg. reading glasses or a hearing aid. The assessment consists of a series of skills tests. These will help to find out your strengths and where you need a bit more support.
3. When the assessment has been completed, the psychologist will discuss the results with you and approximately three weeks after the assessment, they will generate a report that will go to the ALS team.

What happens after an Educational Psychologist Assessments?

When you receive your report, please file your copy in a safe place.
The ALS team will receive a copy at a similar time, so they’ll contact you to come in, discuss the recommendations of the report and complete the DSA process.
Student Finance will write to you and let you know whether or not you qualify for DSA. If you do, the HE support team will work with you to arrange a Needs Assessment, so you can receive the resources, equipment, training and support you need.